- WhenAugust 10 to 7 Oct 2018
- CuratorsTony Oates
Painting amongst other things… brings together works by Robert Rauschenberg, Richard Tuttle, Raquel Ormella, Lynda Benglis, Ti Parks, Merlin James, Peter Alwast, Natasha Kidd and Karl Wiebke among others, examining how contemporary painting might be encountered within an expanded field. The exhibition juxtaposes significant historical precedents and contemporary works, showing how artists have continually reappraised the boundaries of their art by means of an engagement with “the real”.
Giving paintings the characteristics of objects, reassessing their physicality, spatializing their elements – these are well known devices for challenging and breaking down the four-squareness of painterly autonomy. Equally relevant to this exhibition is the artists’ exploration of new media and processes, their strategies of collaboration and their radical repurposing of objects and found materials.
The ultimate significance of the works in the exhibition could be determined by their suggestion that painting, or the artist, or art itself cannot be fixed in any assigned place. Inspiration and change must be discovered through a kind of brinkmanship, in what we don’t yet understand and may not be quite ready to accept.
The exhibition was presented to coincide with two other exhibitions around the same theme
ANU School of Art and Design Gallery
10 August – 1 September 2018
curated by Peter Alwast, Raquel Ormella and Su Yilmaz.
8 August -26 August 2018
curated by Oscar Capezio.
These exhibitions were supported by the ANU Research School of Arts and Humanities, the ANU Foundation for the Visual Arts, ANCA inc and the Friends of the Drill Hall Gallery.
Buy Now / $25 + $10 postage
- TitlePainting Amongst Other Things
- SpecsPaperback, 128 pages, 20 x 25.5 cm
- PublisherPublished by 2018 DHG Publishing
- DetailsLynda Benglis, Merlin James, Natasha Kidd, Rose Nolan, Ti Parks, Jacob Potter, Robert Rauschenberg, Richard Tuttle, Karl Wiebke / ANU SOA&D – Vanessa Barbay, Lionel Bawden, Riley Beaumont, Emma Beer, Vivienne Binns, Julie Brooke, Leah Bullen, Susan Buret, Tony Curran, Tiffany Cole, Fernando Do Campo, Romany Fairall, Kirsten Farrell, Rowan Kane, Karena Keys, Sanne Kolemij, Waratah Lahy, Haylery Lander, Peter Maloney, Cat Mueller, Sally O’Callaghan, Elena Papanikolakis, Rachel Siobhan Powell, Dionisia Salas, Helen Shelly, Bryan Spier, Kael Stasce, Chris Twiney, Ruth Waller, Jonathan Webster, Mei Wilkinson, Andrzej Zielinski / ANCA Gallery – Ian Burn, Vivienne Binns, Lucina Lane, Patrick Lundberg, Elizabeth Newman, Jelena Telecki / Texts by curators Peter Alwast, Tony Oates, Su Yilmaz, Oscar Capezio, and Ruth Waller (Former Head of Painting, SOAD) / Visit paot.com.au
- Price$25 + $10 postage / Buy Now
Painting and Other things Exhibition review for the Canberra Times by Sasha Grishin
Exhibition is thematically nebulous but challenging in scope and range | The Canberra Times | Canberra, ACT
A Review of Painting Amongst Other Things at ANCA, 2018 by Angus McGrath
Top image: Lynda Benglis Roberta 1974 (detail) enamel, sculpmetal and tinsel on aluminium screeing and foil, 79.1x 89.1 x 41.3 cm National Gallery of Australia, Canberra. Purchased 1975 © Lynda Benglis/VAGA
Installation images: Rob Little