I weave what I have seen: The War Rugs of Afghanistan is a testimony to the creativity and resilience of Afghan weavers who have faced the devastating effects of war for more than forty years.
From the very start of the conflict, Afghan weavers began developing a striking new form of war art involving a complex imagery of armaments, maps, monuments, texts and portraits which soon began to find an international audience.
Emerging out of a research project undertaken at the Australian National University by Tim Bonyhady and Nigel Lendon, this exhibition investigates the history, iconography, production and distribution of these extraordinary rugs.
The exhibition and its national tour are organised by the ANU Drill Hall Gallery in conjunction with Tim Bonyhady.
This is a COVID-safe event, please bring a mask.
Wednesday 11 August 12pm – Tour to be given by Nigel Lendon
Thursday 12 August 12pm – Tour to be given by Tim Bonyhady
Saturday 14 August 2pm – Tour to be given by Tim Bonyhady – cancelled due to Canberra COVID lockdown
Image: Rob Little
For your safety, the Drill Hall Gallery will be following guidelines, recommendations and enforceable public health directions published by ACT Health and Safework Australia. We will be collecting contact tracing information from all visitors to the gallery.
To ensure a safe and healthy environment while visiting the Drill Hall Gallery at this time we request that you:
● Stay at home if you are unwell.
● Stay at home if you have been in contact with a known or suspected COVID-19 case.
● You must wear a face mask while in the Drill Hall Gallery.
● Practice good hand hygiene and cough etiquette.
● Utilise hand sanitisers provided at the entrance of the gallery.
● Assist our staff in filling out your contact tracing information on entry and exit from the gallery.
● Maintain 1.5 metres distance from other visitors and staff.
● Comply with the number restrictions clearly signposted in each of the gallery spaces.
● Comply with any written or verbal directions from staff.
● Use contactless payment for any purchases made at the Drill Hall Gallery.
● Download the COVIDSafe app if you have not already.
Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we appreciate your help in keeping our community safe during this time.