- WhenFri 22 February — Sun 14 April 2019
- OpeningSat 21 February 2019
- CuratorTerence Maloon
A masterpiece collection of Australian Art.
There is a long-established tendency in museums and galleries to emphasise fundamental differences between indigenous and non-indigenous Australian art at the expense of any common ground they might possibly share. Private collectors tend to be less inhibited in this regard. They are much more open to the play of analogies, rapports and apparent convergences of works, even if these be no more than accidental and fleeting.
This outstanding private collection braces indigenous and non-indigenous works in a utopian vision, where there is the possibility of exchange between equals, where the playing field is level, where the indigenous seems to be normative and the non-indigenous a series of unconscious, deeply reverential and somehow secondary echoes. It has to be seen to be believed: the animated and compelling conversation that springs up between works by Ralph Balson and Nyapanyapan Yunupingu; Ian Fairweather, Tony Tuckson, Emily Kame Kngwarreye and George Tjungurrayi; between Robert Klippel, Leo Loomans and Michael Buzacott; between Tiger Palpatja and Nonggirrnga Marawili. A veritable feast for the eye and a balm to the spirit not to be missed.
The Drill Hall Gallery 2019 program of exhibitions has been generously supported by the ANU Visual Arts Foundation.
Buy Now / $25 + $10 postage
- TitleHassall Collection: A Masterpiece of Australian Art
- SpecsPaperback, 72 pages, 21 x 22 cm
- PublisherPublished 2019 by DHG Publishing
- DetailsRalph Balson, Wawiriya Burton, Janangoo Butcher, Michael Buzacott, Timothy Cook, Ian Fairweather, Rhonda Hamlyn, Susannah Hamlyn, Roy Jackson, Kawiny Tjampawa, Robert Klippel, Emily Kame, Leo Loomans, Nonggirrnga Marawili, Jon Molvig, Rerrkirrwanga Munungurr, Doreen Reid Nakamarra, Tiger Palpatja, John Peart, Wakartu Cory Surprise, George Tjungurrayi, Harry Tjutjuna, Tony Tuckson, Ken Whisson, Nyapanyapan Yunupingu.
- Price$25 + $10 postage / Buy Now