- DatesWednesday 11 October, 12:30 pm
- Sunday 22 October, 2:30 pm
Join Backwash curators, Oscar Capezio and Tony Oates, for a 45 minute tour of the exhibition. No bookings necessary.
Contemporary artists have lived through an era of uncertainty and disillusionment. Floating along a current of late-capitalism, a self-perpetuating system of waste, they find themselves stuck in a cyclical deadlock, overloaded with images of humanity’s self-destruction. In creating art from the ‘backwash’ of contemporary life, this group of artists seek to grapple with a tide of excessive mass consumption and an ever intensifying globalisation by readdressing its residues.
Perhaps resigned to the idea that art’s power to change the world has disappeared, or equally suspicious of the subsumption of art into a commodified, institutionalised market, many artists prefer to work within the ‘backwash’ as a way to express their discomfort. Yet these artists are also finely attuned to the poetic plasticity of their materials and seek to break the trajectory of waste by addressing its abject beauty.
Backwash includes works by Robert Bittenbender, Isabella Darcy, George Egerton-Warburton, Sarah Goffman, Spencer Lai, Marian Tubbs, and Philadelphia Wireman. Curated by Oscar Capezio and Tony Oates.
Buy Now / $40 + $10 postage
- SpecsSoftcover, 80 pages
- PublisherPublished 2023 by DHG Publishing
- DetailsFeaturing texts by Tony Oates and Oscar Capezio. Seven plastic sleeve variants featuring works by Robert Bittenbender, Isabella Darcy, George Egerton-Warburton, Sarah Goffmam, Spencer Lai, Marian Tubbs and Philadephia Wireman. Designed by Andrew Darragh and Ricardo Felipe. If purchased online, the plastic sleeve variant will be picked at random.
- Price$40 + $10 postage / Buy Now